Mental Health and Substance Use Counselor (Residential)
The primary responsibility of the MH & SUD Counselor is to provide Substance Use and Mental Health counseling at the Bobby Benson Center. The counselor will provide ongoing support and expertise through comprehensive assessment, planning, implementation and overall evaluation of individual participant’s needs. The overall goal of this position is to provide mental health and addiction recovery services to clients referred to the BBC. They may also be involved in enhancing the quality of the client’s management and satisfaction to promote continuity of care through the integrating and functions of treatment and follow up services.
Specific Duties/Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
1. Conduct MH and SUD counseling sessions as needed in individual and group settings.
2. Create and manage the clients progress notes and other documents in the client files.
3. Demonstrates ability to assist and evaluate in other clinical counseling services.
4. Collect data related to referrals, screenings, assessments, consultations etc.
5. Administrative support for clinical services.
6. Other general office/administrative support for the Clinical department, etc.
7. Documents all client related activity in EMR in an accurate, thorough, and timely manner.
8. Participates on the treatment team for an identified caseload of clients to assist with servicing the client caseload needed.
9. Conducts review for appropriate utilization of services from acceptance of referral to assessment reports and quarterly reports.
10. Prepare communications, such as memos, emails, invoices, reports, and other correspondence
11. Maintain filing systems, both electronic and physical.
12. Demonstrate a warm, kind, and compassionate approach toward all clients’ that supports recovery and results in positive consumer outcomes.
13. Excellent Time Management and Organization Skills
14. Demonstrates ability to work as a team player by working with other members of the Clinical Team, assisting other team members, as needed.
15. Collects clinical data and enters information into database for tracking purposes.
Other Related Duties
1. Participates actively in case reviews, client clinical services, SUD and MH education, professional staff, program trainings and committees, and assists in any clinical tasks as needed.
2. Completes other special assignments and projects as assigned.
3. To participate actively as an agency representative in collaborative partner networks and in related community activities.
4. Willingly performs other duties/responsibilities, as requested.
5. Maintains accurate records of service coordination activities in the system using clinical guidelines.
6. Maintains HIPAA standards and confidentiality of protected health information; and reports critical incidents and information regarding quality of care issues.
Required Qualifications & Skills
1. This job requires strict compliance with all company policies and procedures including but not limited to all state and federally mandated patient privacy laws and regulations
(E.g. HIPAA). Job requires maintaining professional relationships with patients consistent with reasonable expectations for a behavioral health practice.
2. Decision-making: Counselor must be able to make independent decisions on a daily basis, addressing the best way to handle specific tasks.
3. Knowledge of HIPAA standards, responsibilities and procedures.
4. Knowledge of client’s rights, state and federal laws, and regulations, such as those relating to health services, confidentiality, and consent issues for the targeted population.
5. Strong interpersonal and communication skills
6. Demonstrates ability to motivate clients
7. Good oral and writing communication skills, must be able to collaborate with other administrators and support personnel, management, and clients on a regular basis.
8. Equipment Use: Proper use of computers, laptop, phones, printers and other standard office equipment, and tools.
9. Capable of working with diverse populations.
10. Valid driver’s license with clean driver’s abstract
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
1. Bachelor’s degree in one of these specific areas of study: social services or human services or a combination of relevant education and experience.
2. CSAC preferred, or actively pursuing a CSAC.
3. In lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree, must have high school Diploma and or at least 5 years of experience of direct client population preferred.
Send your completed application, resume and interview survey to:
Subject Line: Employment Application for [Position Title]
Hand-delivered or mailed applications: 56-660 Kamehameha Hwy.; Kahuku, HI 96731